From Bev Farmer of Podenco Friends.
'Canine Brucellosis, this is relevant to anyone in the UK that has adopted a dog from overseas .. please read
There have been a number of reports of some veterinary Clinics in the UK that any one that has brought a dog into the UK from overseas. They are now insisting it is tested for Brucellosis before they are willing to treat it .. I have attached a link below from an article from the British Veterinary Association recommending protocols ti be put in place ..
This will also include breeders importing dogs and possibly people who travel overseas with their dogs..
My concern is your dog needs emergency treatment and it is delayed until the blood results are back, it may be too late.
Asking some of our adopters it seems that the private practices are not making this request but the bigger practices that are owned by companies are doing so. Even dogs that have been in the UK for a number of years with no symptoms.
Then I read of a case in the UK.. Three weeks ago owner X got the news from her vet that one of her two healthy Romanian rescue dogs had tested posted for Brucella canis (positive on the iELISA test), despite being in the country for several years. She was informed that all the veterinary practice would now offer was euthanasia and she was warned about the dangers to public and canine health. The owner booked for the dog to be euthanised. They asked for a second opinion on the results and found them to be incorrect and the dog was negative . APHA looked at the results and confirmed this was a manual error mistake by their laboratories, and have now re-issued the results showing a negative result.
Checking on DEFRA website I can not see any requirements that dogs need to be tested to travel from Spain to the UK .. I dont know if there are for other countries. Dogs that are neutered are considered a lower risk and the majority are before they leave Spain, with the exception of puppies.
I understand that it is a concern and the need to implement protocols to reduce risks. It's up to an individual Veterinary practice to put them in place. But I don't want any adopter to be bullied into making a decision into having their dog euthanised if a test comes back positive. The good news there is also a growing number of vets who WILL offer the full range of veterinary services to a dog testing positive.
I don't want people to panic, but I think it is important to be informed and maybe be proactive rather than reactive. I am not qualified to advise you what to do but there is a FB page with a RVN that is able to offer information and guidance. I will add the link below.
FB page .. Brucella Canis Former RVN resigned under protest
Article from the British Veterinary Association